The Foundation for Greentech Environmental Systems has developed a unique programme called ‘Yamuna Darshan’ for the school children wherein we offer them an opportunity to learn diverse aspects about the holy river coupled with the issues of water pollution and water quality. The objectives of this programme are to:
- Sensitize children on issues of water pollution
- Create awareness about water conservation
- Provide children an opportunity for an expedition in their city and to look at the nature up close
The programme offers a combination of scientific learning with field visit. It covers historical, cultural and religious facets of the river besides of course the engineering aspects e.g., location of various dams and barrages, flow pattern, the sources of pollution, current status of water quality and measures being taken to clean up the river, etc. The programme includes:
- A presentation in school on river Yamuna
- An expedition around the Delhi stretch of the river wherein children get to see first hand the causes and level of water pollution and are familiarised with all critical water quality parameters by actually doing field measurement with the help of a water quality testing kit, and
- A visit to a water treatment plant.
We believe that by attending such an educational expedition the children will get an excellent first hand opportunity to learn about the causes and effects of water pollution and the importance of conserving our water bodies. The expedition element combined with scientific measurements in the field adds an exciting aspect to the entire programme which the children will remember for long. A few pictures of one such field visit organised in July 2007 are presented here.
If you are interested in organising Yamuna Darshan for your school children, please get in touch with us and we will be more than happy to help.